Tuesday, November 16, 2010

oh my...

this is an all time low in my blogging. The problem is...our laptop was out of commission for months and I am way too lazy to type a blog post from my iphone!

Since the last post of course a ton has changed including the birth of our sweet son Holden G Kimble! Let us start there so I never forget the details:

It started the night before my due date even though I was terribly unaware! I woke up several times to go to the bathroom--would wipe--leave the bathroom and suddenly question whether or not I had wiped...a strange feeling. Needless to say the wondering kept me up most of the night and then onto September 14th (my due date). Everything was going as it usually did--busy mom...busy toddler boy. It was around 3pm and I went to the bathroom only to realize that indeed-my water had broke! I let my midwife know-she said I could stick around home and attempt to get labor to start on its own. I went into instant nesting mode making sure everything was in line for Archer while we would be away...and then making sure everything was ready for the hospital. I called Colin and he said he had to work for another hour or two (they had rented some equipment) and then he would be home--funny how different things are with the second baby!

When my sister and brother in law came to get Archie (lucky duck got to go to the Utah State Fair) I get fairly emotional! Not only do I never seperate from my little guy---I knew this was the final parting before we were 4--and I also knew that he sort of had no idea what was going to happen/how things would change! I had never been away from Archer for the night (minus work..). I then moped around a bit before remembering I needed to get labor going! I started to pump and do various things---but not much was happening. Colin came home, cooked dinner, we both showered and continued trying to get labor going--it was pouring outside so no walking. Neeedless to say, but 9:30 nothing had happened so my midwife ask that we go in and start some pit. not to mention I was strep positive this time so she wanted to start antibiotics.

We got to the hospital and I was still fearing the pit. We started to walk and started our first dose of antibiotics and sure enough contractions started up!! They were manageable but more intense somehow than I remember them (funny how that works). HOURS went by this way and they decided to check me around 5am...low and behold 100% effaced but only a lousy 3 centimeters. I pretty much lost it at that point. They started pit and I flashed back to my 32 hour long labor with Archer. It didn't help that Archer was sick the night before and I hadn't slept much between sick him and wondering if my water broke. I was exhausted and preparing mentally for a 32 hour labor. The pit hurt like hell, I was tired, I wanted saved---I finally decided I had nothing to prove to anyone (self included) and at 6am asked for an epidural. My midwife was called and said she was on her way. They filled up the bath with water and told me to get in...I refused. Midwife came--before she spoke I said "Don't try to talk me out of this, I have already made up my mind." She smiled, confirmed the obvious that I was getting ahead of myself as far as how long this labor would be, but that she wanted me to be happy with the outcome and if that's what it would take--ok!

Around 7am the epidural arrived---sort of. The MD told me that it could take anywhere from 20-40 minutes for relief to take place or the "full effect" to be felt. Of course, at 7:30am I was sure by 8am I would feel better. NO LUCK! 8am came, 8:30..and the pain was only getting worse! Finally I told Colin someone needed to get in there because this was not an ok way for someone to feel!!!! I was still convinced I was 3cm and going to have to suffer or get another epidural! I remember while it was being "put in" he seemed to be having a tough time---sure enough! With Archie when I got my epidural it was heavenly!!!! I told Colin if I could get one on the streets I would--he replied--but you can't move your legs...to which I replied-I KNOW IT'S THAT GREAT!

So the nurse comes in, says--OH! Time to have the baby! 15 minutes of pushing and at 9:33am (Archer was born at 9:27am) Colin pulled a slimy little BABY BOY out and placed him on my chest! I sat there for at least an hour SHOCKED/STUNNED that Jubilee was actually a boy!!!! 7lbs. 10oz. 21.5 inches long and as hairy headed as they come!!!

The next 2 days were perfect. A sweet retreat (this hospital was pretty much a resort-the food fresh from a local organic farm...a menu in the room where you called down when you wanted food and they awnswered "room service"). Our days were spent with Colin getting Archie and bringing him up until nap-then Colin would take him home and put him down, then pick him up when he woke up, and take him home to play, bath, bed. It was sort of tough on Colin to do the back and forth-but I really think Archer enjoyed being there with us and being a part of the process. He was thrilled to come pick his baby brother up and take him home!!! We spent most of our time agonizing over names!!!! Colin had a few that he stuck by,but in the end it came down to Jesse or Huck. I have always, since the 8th grade when I read The Catcher in the Rye, LOVED the name Holden. It was also a small town off of the interstate between Colin's parents and our house in Baton Rouge...I couldn't let it go. Finally I just told Colin that...and he said ok! I quickly filled out the birth certificate application and we were FREE!!!

Holden Guy Keith Kimble. Holden, a name I love. Guy, an affectionate name I made up/called my mom's 2nd husband Tim who was my step father for 12 years. Keith after Colin's dad. I love this bundle!!!

Ok, must go to bed...will write more later, but feels good to get that part out there!!!

Love the incredibly sleep deprived but beyond happy and blessed Kimbles!

No comments: