Friday, September 18, 2009

One year ago today..

One year ago today I was blessed to welcome a sweet little boy into my arms.  Since that day I have learned more about life than I could have imagined.  I was telling someone last night that every cliche thing people say about having children is true, but the truest of all is the saying "having a child will change your life forever."  Not only does it change your life, but it teaches you all of the best things about life.  Archer has taught me more about myself and how to live than any old wise man could.  Live simply and live happily!  I remember shortly after Archie was born Colin went away for the weekend to play some shows.  There was some band drama etc and Colin came home, scooped up Archer and said, "this is JOY, this is what life is about."  It's true.  Life is still good---and our buddy boy reminds us of that.  Everyday is about trying to have fun.  You always hear people say that after they have a baby they almost instantly "don't remember what we did before the baby."  SOOOO TRUE...we have no idea what we used to do, besides get a whole bunch of sleep!  

Last night we welcomed lots of our best friends into town and Colin suggested having a conversation about what we have all learned in the past year.  We have a best friend from Washington that recently got divorced, some best friends that just recently got married, we had a kid, and our other best friends just finished school/are on the brink of deciding what to do and where to go.  We haven't had the conversation yet, but I asked Colin what he has learned.  He said, "that I don't matter."  He didn't mean it in the pity party way, he meant it in the way that having kids is always putting someone before you...a very humbling experience indeed!!!  

Ok, party is on, birthday boy just woke up from his nap!!!

Needless to say, having a kid is the best thing I have done all year, and the most rewarding thing I have done to date (blah blah cliche cliche), but thank god for the lessons I have learned! 

No comments: