Friday, September 18, 2009

cloth diaper update...


Alright, as promised, for my friends and family who are either cloth diapering or about to start, here is my review of the diapers we have...

From top to bottom and left to right it goes:  (almost all are one size diapers)

The first two diapers are "cloth diaper wholesale" diapers.  These diapers were very reasonably priced ($10 for white, $12 for colored) and very wonderful.  The stuff in the front which is interesting, but with a baby boy very helpful (I am able to do an extra fold over in the front for added dryness).  Bang for the buck I would DEFINITELY suggest having a few of these in your collection!  They have never leaked for us, and we often use them as our overnight diaper of choice (right behind Bumgenius all-in-ones).  They are adorable and the woman that sells that is very friendly and helpful!  They fit wonderfully and have two snaps on either side to secure.  The size is adjustable the same way most other one size diapers are and that is by the snaps down the front.  They are able to get incredibly small and seem like one of the most practical diapers for newborns.

The next three diapers are our "Fuzzibunz."  I would ALMOST say these are my favorite, or the ones I always reach for (while probably being Colin's least favorite...all of the snaps).  I love how perfectly they fit Archer and they seem to be rather "slim fitting".  Fuzzi bunz have been around forever, and I believe were one of the first cutting edge diaper companies so they know what they are doing!  The size varies incredibly and several different ways: there is an internal elastic piece you can use to make the diaper tighter around the legs as well as the snap down front AND this diaper (unlike any of the others) is available with a "hip snap" (hence Colin's hatred for all of the snaps).  This diaper is not as "user friendly" as the bumgenius option, but I think it is by far the best looking and best fitting diaper we have.  We have NEVER had a leak!!!  We dont often use these for overnight seeing as they are slim and we would prefer to have them clean to use during the day.  Also, Archer could not get out of these if he tried!  Overall, Fuzzi bunz are def. in our top three!!!

The next four in line are Happy Heiny's.  I bought four of these after reading reviews, and wish I I hadn't bought any.  I really do not like or Happy Heiny's and would be willing to trade or sell them to just about anybody.  One of my friends really really liked them for her newborn and said they were her favorite on her little girl for the first few months.  For us they are very BULKY (I need to get different inserts) and almost always leak!  We probably should change his diaper more often (we only change him 4 times a day usually) but we don't have the leaking problem with any other diapers.  When we use a HH we must change him often and generally try not to put one on him before going out.  Not only are they very bulky the velcro tabs are rather large and almost look to be uncomfortable on his chubby tummy.  The tabs are available in velcro or snaps (the first navy blue one is the snap option) and I prefer the snaps.  The velcro is SUPER easy for Archer to get off and unless he has pants over them he will instantly take the diaper off (he is even able to get it unhooked with clothes on).  They dont fit well, are bulky, and often leak which makes this choice our least favorite.

Next in line (second row) are "Rocky Mountain Diapers".  The woman who sells the wholesale cloth diapers also sells these.  The Rocky Mountain diapers are super cute with a colored liner on the inside.  They seem to be of less quality than most of the other diapers, but have never let us down!  I like the sizing system tons!  To adjust the tightness around the legs there is an elastic strip that has snaps so you simply pull the elastic until you get the desired "squeeze" and then snap it in place, really wonderful!  Overall, very cute and fit nicely!  I would recommend these for sure!

Following the Rocky Mountain Diapers are the "Haute" diapers.  These diapers are WONDERFUL!!!  They are very similar to Bumgenius but are bigger (can use them for much longer).  Actually if you look at the picture the ones after the Haute are Bumgenius and you can see the size difference!  We love the Haute diapers and have no had a single issue with them.  We also generally use these for bedtime and are very satisfied customers!  They are available in snap or velcro tabs and we have one of each. 

Next up, Bumgenius.  Bumgenius is a great company and I really believe they have the right concept, it seems to be their goal is making cloth diapering the logical choice, based on ease of use and affordability.  Bumgenius just released two new brands of diaper-one called Flip, and the other "Econobum".  With Econobum they claim you can cloth diaper from birth to potty training for $100.  I am really dying for them to release either so we can get our hands on them (when we do I will be sure to post something).  For now, we have the Bumgenius all in one, and the Bumgenius one size.  We almost always use our all in ones for bedtime (with an extra insert).  Because the insert it fastened in it seems like the most logical solution to a moving baby moving around that insert allowing the diaper to leak.  I love the all in one's and if it didn't make more sense financially to buy one size fits all I would only own Bumgenius all in ones!  On the other hand, our bumgenius one size diapers are great.  They fit perfectly (but are our smallest diapers by far---I am not sure how long he will be able to wear them, although they look to get very tiny for a newborn).  The biggest beef I have with them is that the only option (unless you go organic) is velcro.  We have washed ours a handful of times and already the velcro is crummy, not to mention....Archer ALWAYS takes them off!  If this diaper had a snap option it would be one of my favorites for sure!!!  Bumgenius has no plans to make a snap option available because their new "Flip" diaper is essentially that.  I would def. suggest having a couple of these in your stash, but the all in one's and the one size fits all (all in twos).

The next two are "Whammies".  I feel 100% neutral about these diapers!  The first one has an interesting way to close, with little clasps, that Archer wouldn't be able to figure out--even at the age of 3!!!!  I imagine as he gets older I will begin to reach for that diaper more often than now.  The other is a snap closure.  I enjoy these diapers, I wouldn't buy anymore, but do enjoy  the ones we have.  

Last on the list, Smartipants.  I LOVE our smartipants diapers, they are the trimmest next to Fuzzibunz.  Smartipants insert is open at the front and the back and the insert comes out on its own in the wash (no need to touch a pee soaked cloth just simply throw it in the wash machine and it finds its way out).  These are our newest diaper so that is all I have to report so far (not to mention I am fairly tired of typing...)

That is it for now, I will write more as the times goes by.  All in all, it is essential to have some wholesale cloth diapers, Bumgenius, and Fuzzibunz on your collection!!!


No comments: